Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Knit, Purl, Die!





The sun is yawning bright in the heavens.  
God's most pure azure blues sleepily stretch across sky.
And a cashmere soft breeze whispers... "come play"


I'm ready to dig my bare little piggies
into warm grains of sand,
 settle myself into a secluded spot,
with an ice cold glass of tea,
and escape into one of my
 favorite guilty pleasures.


Most everyone I know reads literary works or self help books found on... New York Times Best Sellers, Oprah's Book Club, and College Reading Lists... I prefer what I call chocolate mysteries.








No need to equip yourself with a tablet and highlighter, the pages of chocolate mysteries are best turned with care-free, chocolate stained finger tips.  You don't learn anything from them.  You are not a better person for having read them.  You really can't gather quotes from them to amaze your friends or paste on Facebook.


However, you CAN escape to distant places.  Meet interesting people.  Match wits with really smart people whilst solving a classic "who-dun-it." AND goodness and justice always WIN! 


Two fun books I just finished reading are classic CHOCOLATE MYSTERIES.  But these books by Anne Canadeo, have a few little extras that make them a really fun read for knitters.  They are called Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries.  The common location they share is a seaside community (reminds me of my roots in Sunny Southern California) which is home to the bustling yet homey knitting shop and hangout known as the Black Sheep.  


The members of the local knitting group seem prone to awfully bad luck, though, having already had several murders and I'm only two books into the series.  lol  


What I love... 


There is no bad language and the murders are NOT graphically described in vivid detail.   And there are no lurid sex scenes.  Not everyone is a saint though.  Obviously, or else there wouldn't be a mystery to solve, or any interesting characters to implicate.  


This is not the quality of Agatha Christie's Miss Marple, or Hercule Poirot but it is a fun read for those who enjoy matching wits in a story that won't keep them up at night or give them nightmares.   It's just fun, light, entertainment. (If you find murder mysteries entertaining.  lol)


Brownie Points... 
(Brownies are a favorite of this chocolate lover.)


I've given this book extra brownie points for the patterns and recipes in the back which allow you to knit the projects and taste the food they enjoy in the book.  How fun is that?! 


Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries


I suggest starting with #1  While My Pretty One Knits (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries)


While My Pretty One Knits (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries)This one showcases a notorious rivalry between knitting shops that ends in murder.  


People are falsely accused.  Red herrings are thrown out to confuse you.  But we knitters are not to be fooled with!  We figure out the solution before the police do, whilst knitting complicated patterns with fabulous yarns!   


Of course we do!  

I just closed the book on Knit, Purl, Die (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery)

Knit, Purl, Die (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery)I started this one on a get-away I shared with my hubby last winter.  It was a charming bed and breakfast.  Just an overnighter, but both hubby and I enjoy reading on vacation, so I bought this book just for the title!  Love it... Knit, Purl, DIE!  lol  


I must admit that I didn't get very far in reading it, only having one evening and all.  I actually ended up getting the ebook version to finish reading on my phone.  I always forget to bring a book along but I usually have my phone with me.  


This charmer brings the evil doer even closer to the safety of the Black Sheep knit shop.  I don't want to spoil it for you but I did change my mind a few times as to who the guilty party was.


I only have one complaint ;)  


The central character in Knit, Purl, Die is described as "a cougar" having scored a much younger husband and she seems to have undergone all sorts of cosmetic enhancements needed to keep her AGE from showing.  I pictured this woman as MUCH OLDER than the 52 year old woman we discover her to be.  REALLY?!  52?  Is that really OLD now?!!! 


Well I put aside my bruised pride and determined to enjoy the story anyway.  It proved to be a fun read too.  


A Contest!  You could be a winner too!!!


IF YOU READ THIS REVIEW CLOSELY, you'll notice that I ended up with BOTH the ebook and the paperback copy of this book.  So I thought I would have a...


CHOCOLATE MYSTERY LOVERS CONTEST


In 1 WEEK, MAY 24th, I'm giving away my paperback copy of...

KNIT, PURL, DIE!

Knit, Purl, Die (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery)

to 1 lucky winner!

You do NOT need to be a knitter to enter the contest or to enjoy this book.  All you have to do is leave a comment here on this post and you will be entered to win.  (The winner will be drawn randomly by my sweet hubby.)





What's next?


A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery)I think I shall follow this fun group of knitters on their next adventure A Stitch Before Dying (Black Sheep Knitting Mystery)

















Today I leave you with a thought from my Bible reading yesterday.  I was reading from the Amplified Bible and I came across this verse in Psalm 97 vs 11.  (Emphasis is mine.)


LIGHT is sown for the [uncompromisingly] righteous and strewn along their pathway, and JOY for the upright in heart [the irrepressible joy which comes from consciousness of His favor and protection].


These are rich rewards for pursuing a godly life.  


* No matter how dark or evil the world around you may seem, no matter how difficult or impossible or bad your situation may appear, when you belong to God, HE is in control.  Your job is to concentrate on living right, WITHOUT COMPROMISE, and God will get you through safely.  You will find your difficult path strewn freely with light (direction, hope, insight, wisdom, comfort.)  You will clearly see the goodness of God in your difficult situation that others often miss.


* Having an upright heart to me means having a clear conscience.  It means, being a person who seeks to DO what is right in God's eyes, not just outwardly for others to see, but from the center of who you are.  Yet, that same person acknowledges her failures humbly and promptly asks for forgiveness and receives it freely.   That is a person who is able to live in unfettered JOY!  No hiding in shame or feelings of deserving misfortune.  Instead, the person with the heart that is right with God KNOWS, CONSCIOUSLY KNOWS, that she is the blessed recipient of her Heavenly Father's FAVOR and PROTECTION.  He has her best interest at heart.  And she KNOWS God is worthy of complete trust, like a newborn knows nothing but trust for the mother who gave her birth.


My prayer for you and for me is that we will daily live that good and godly life, marked by LIGHT and irrepressible JOY!


Thanks for stopping by my cottage.


Hugs


Linda/Stoneybrooke

13 comments:

  1. I'm leaving a comment. =D I love reading your blog, Miss Linda! You are just great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! A contest! I love contests, especially if I win! I have a bunch of this type of book that I read. It's mindless reading much like stockinette knitting in the round and it usually goes by quickly and gives a sense of completion. I actually have a knitting mystery on my shelf right now: Knit One, Kill Two.

    You know I read your blog even if you don't have a contest, right?

    ~ Gabriela Carmello Frost

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heavens! I'll play :-) Although I confess I like a good "bodice ripper" now and again, and the occational vampire romp (go Sookie Stackhouse!), I also love stories such as the series you are reading :-)

    Love that you are posting more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your posts! Love the look of that book! Love Chocolate. Love you!!! Keep em coming...

    Suey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Posting this for my friend DianaIB from Ravelry who valiantly tried to post and was snubbed by blogger, poor thing.

    Diana you are, hereby and forthwith, entered into the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi sweetie, what a great idea and I sure do love your blog. Just haven't had much time lately. XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading your posts, Linda. I do like mysteries and I have a freind who only reads mysteries - 2 or 3 a week. I'll let her know about these books. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw this book at the store the other day and thought about getting it! Glad to hear it's not a trashy paperback! :) I've been studying about preparing your heart for ministry work, and everything you said is right on! One thing to add is that your heart should be transparent so that even non-Christians will see how you honor and are obedient to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I stumbled across this blog and love it!
    I will be following you know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you, miss you...Happy to come by and read about you:) Holly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Knit, Purl, Die!":

    I too just stumbled across your blog on another site - loved it!

    I did see this series of books in a store but didn't buy them. I'll be picking them up now for sure.

    I think the term "cougar" relates to the difference in age between the woman and a man who is ten or more years younger than her. So it's not so much her age as his youth that makes the relationship cougarly. If she was 40 and he was 18, she'd be a cougar. FYI, Wikipedia has deleted the article on 'Cougar' because nobody could give reliable sources for it. If it's not on Wikipedia, does it really exist?!?

    Linda L.



    Posted by Anonymous to Stoneybrooke Cottage - Living This Vintage Life at May 23, 2011 9:26 AM

    ReplyDelete
  12. My apologies to anonymous who submitted a great comment and in my excitement my big thumb selected delete instead of publish. So I rescued the comment as beat I could. Sorry about that. Perhaps the phone screen is a tad tiny to effectively manage blog comments? Lol

    Thanks for taking the time to comment

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to pick up some of those books. I like mysteries too, intelligent and clean! LUvLU! I'd rather have my eyes gouged out than read a romance novel! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails